Smokey Corn Chowder
Oct 8, 2017 | by Lisa Reynoso
Nothing tastes better on a cool fall day than a nice warm chowder. Now you can eat a rich, creamy version that will warm you up on the inside!
1 onion diced
1 roasted red bell pepper diced
16 oz corn thawed, if frozen
3 garlic cloves minced
dash chipotle or chili powder
1-3 tsp smoked paprika
1 quart veg broth
14 oz can coconut milk
1 lime juice
Optional: potato flour (to thicken), liquid smoke, green onions, hot sauce
- Line a large pot with broth and sauté onion, pepper, corn, and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Add chipotle or chili powder, smoked paprika, and salt to taste. Stir into veggies.
- Add broth, liquid smoke if using, and/or more paprika to taste. Bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat. Pour half into a blender, blending until smooth. If using potato flour, add while blending until it is too thick to blend more.
- Return blended mixture to the pot.
- Add in separated veg and coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil and taste.
- Adjust flavors as necessary.
- Add lime juice.
- Garnish with green onions and hot sauce.
Chef’s note: Smoked paprika is mildly spicy. If you want to avoid the spice, use regular paprika, but be sure to add some liquid smoke! You can cut down on the fat by using half a can of coconut milk and replacing the other half with water. Alternately, you could use a whole can of light, but because you can freeze the remaining half can for later, it’s cheaper the first way. You could add a potato or two instead of potato flour for a chunkier soup.