Sliceable Garbanzo Cheese
Aug 3, 2017 | by Lisa Reynoso
This cheese, sliceable doesn’t melt, but unlike vegan cheese sauces, it will hold up well and keep its shape, so it is perfect in sandwiches and wraps. High in protein, low in fat, and it keeps well too.
1 cup dry garbanzos
1/3 cup almonds (or other nut or seed)
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
1 ½ cup water
1 heaping tsp herb salt
- Soak garbanzos for at least 8 hours in 3 cups of water. Drain and rinse.
- Combine all ingredients in blender and process until very fine. Add water if needed to allow for smooth blending.
- Place in double boiler over boiling water. Cook covered 25-30 minutes or longer, stirring occasionally.
- Mold into 1 large or 2 small bread pans that have been rinsed in cold water. Chill.
- Turn out cheese onto a platter. Slice and serve. Will keep up to 10 days in the fridge.
Chef’s note: For pimento cheese, use a 4-oz jar of pimentos instead of the tomatoes and reduce the water slightly. Or you may make an herb cheese with chives, sage, or other herbs instead of the tomatoes, but you will need to reduce the water.