Pineapple Un-Fried Rice
Jan 14, 2018 | by Lisa Reynoso
Fried rice is tasty, but with eggs and oil, it’s probably not the healthiest food out there. This recipe is full on flavor and light on calories. Great as a side or a main dish.
1 tbsp fresh ginger root, peeled & minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
½ cup frozen peas
1 bell pepper (any), seeded & diced
3 cups (15 oz) pineapple, thawed & diced
6 cups cooked brown or white rice
5 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
Sriracha, Green onions (optional)
- Line a large pan with water.
- Sauté ginger and garlic over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Increase heat to high, add onion and cook for 1-2 minutes, adding more water as needed.
- Add carrots, peas, and bell peppers, and cook for 1-2 minutes on high heat. The veggies should remain crunchy.
- Add pineapple and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cooked rice, soy sauce and mix well.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook 2 more minutes.
- Turn off heat and garnish with green onion and hot sauce.
- Serve warm.
Chef’s note: The white rice version is more authentic and tasty, but the brown rice version is more nutritious. Add baked tofu or garbanzos for a complete meal, or use it as a side to your favorite Asian dish.