Chickpea Noodle Soup
Oct 8, 2017 | by Lisa Reynoso
Chicken noodle soup is a classic comfort food. Now you can have all the comfort without any animal products!
2 qts veg broth divided
3 carrots skinned & diced
2 celery ribs sliced
1 small onion diced
2 cups brown mushrooms sliced
1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
4 oz dry pasta uncooked
15 oz can chickpeas drained & rinsed
1 tsp white or yellow miso paste
- Line a large soup pot with ¼-cup broth.
- Sauté carrots, celery and onion over high heat until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms, and broth as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Continue to cook over high heat until mushrooms are soft and releasing their juices.
- Add remaining broth and soy sauce.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and add pasta.
- Cook uncovered until pasta is al dente.
- Stir in chickpeas and miso.
- Taste. Add more miso as desired
- Enjoy with crackers.
Chef’s note: If you need the soup to be soy-free, use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce and choose garbanzo miso. Rice pasta will tend to thicken the soup a bit more than wheat pasta will, as will not rinsing the garbanzos well. Leftovers are very tasty, but you might want to add more broth if you want a more soupy consistency. Alternately, if you don’t like a lot of broth in your soup, you can reduce the broth by 1-3 cups and still have a tasty soup.