Aztec Squash Soup
Dec 4, 2017 | by Darci Horton
This soup has a nice balance of vegetables, healthy fats, protein, and carbohydrates to help warm you up on a cold fall day. You can omit the oils for an oil free dish.
Aztec Squash Soup
- 1 ½ pounds Butternut squash, halved lengthwise, seeded
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ¾ cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 cups (or more) vegetable broth, divided ( I shared a picture of my favorite vegan broth below.)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced seeded serrano chile (or more if you like spicy)
- Salt and pepper
- Plain vegan yogurt, avocado, guacamole (optional toppings)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray. Sprinkle cut halves of squash with salt and pepper. On one baking sheet arrange, cut side down, on prepared sheet. Roast squash until tender, about 1 ½ hours. At the same time, roast sweet potatoes on the other baking sheet until tender. Turn squash cut side up and cool. Scoop squash out into medium bowl. Place sweet potatoes into a separate bowl.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until pale golden, about 10 minutes. Mix in celery and garlic. Add 1 cup of broth. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add squash, 5 cups of broth, and cumin. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes to blend flavors.
- Working in batches, puree squash soup in blender until smooth. When finished pureeing all batches, return all soup to pot. Thin squash soup to desired consistency with more vegetable broth. Add sweet potatoes, black beans, corn, and red bell pepper, ¼ cup fresh cilantro, thyme, and Serrano chile. Cover soup and simmer 10 minutes. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each with one of the optional toppings and sprig of cilantro.